6/07/2015

Book Club for One: Women, Food, & God

I grew up loving books.  I could spend hours lost inside my imagination, deep inside of the worlds created by my favorite authors and characters.  

Then I went to college, and I fell out of love with reading.  Womp, womp.

Fast forward 11 years, and here we are.  These days, I read mostly psychology-based, self help, and how-to books.  My college major was psychology.  I have an undying fascination with the way the mind works, as well as how it affects our personalities and interactions. Also, I'm always looking for ways to improve myself and my quality of life, so that I can contribute more to the world around me.  Can't really do that when I'm stuck in my head. 


I feel like my life is one big RPG.  I'm on this massive quest, you know, going on adventures, and I'm constantly learning and improving my skills and leveling up--basically kicking epic amounts of bootay.  On my way, I've met many wise people who have totally shaped the course of my quest, showing up in my corner and getting me feeling all hyped and positive.  One of those people is a counselor I met while working at my last job. 



I was deeply immersed in a funk, which I am no stranger to.  I was feeling completely overwhelmed at work and at home.  It was very difficult for me to get out of bed, and I frequently imagined myself running away from it all in... various ways.  During my first session, all I could do was cry.  I felt like a giant weight was lifted from my body.  Talking to people (especially about my problems) can be really difficult for me.  A few months later, I felt like I could get back in the proverbial ring.

I'm just now starting to read some of the books my counselor recommended, though I don't see her anymore. 


Lost and found
source

Women, Food, and God is written by Geneen Roth, who has devoted her life to helping people discover a connection between food cravings and what they may truly desire, emotionally.  I'm reading this book to help me learn to eat more mindfully and healthfully.

No comments:

Post a Comment