6/26/2015

Caution: Parenting While Introverted

When I asked about permanent birth control options, my doctor looked at me like I had two heads.

"But you still have four or five months left!!"

Don't play with me, chief-- is what I wanted to say.

"It's like I told you before: I was content with one, and then two, and three... now I think I'll finally be content with four!"

Even the nurse looked hurt.  "But you make such pretty babies..."







It's true--- I've been blessed with four healthy pregnancies and babies.  I have an awful lot to be thankful for, and I don't take that for granted.  My husband loves our family, and so do I. 

Still not trying to grow my own football team.  I don't even watch football.

Maybe it's a selfish thought, and maybe I'll learn along the way that I don't have to worry about being able to give each of my four kids enough.

Enough time.

Enough attention.

Enough space.

Enough affection.

Enough of myself.

Enough to help them get on their way as functioning adults.

I worry that--after giving them everything I can, I won't have enough left over for me.

So, how do I do this?  How do I be a {good} mom to four kids, and still find time to recharge my batteries so I can do it all again the next day?  There are days when everyone (mom or not, single or not) could use a pitch hitter.  How do I spread the love, and the patience, and the grace smoothly and evenly like Nutella on a slice of toast without losing my ever loving MIND?

If you have to call me anything, you can call me an introvert.  I like people, just not too many new faces at once.  I like talking, just not about mindless nothingness all the time.  I like hugs and parties and playing with my children.  At the end of that bit of fun and rainbows better be a nice, quiet tent I can crawl into and disappear for a while.  And maybe a mojito or two.  After the baby.

I have a pretty large personal space bubble, which doesn't really work when you have kids.  Kids don't know jack about space bubbles.  Kids pop bubbles--that's just what they do.  Usually with sticky fingers or a big poking stick they found in the woods. 

How do you make time for yourself?

No comments:

Post a Comment